> My ISA modem is set on /dev/ttyS2 and uses IRQ 4 by default, so does
> the mouse /dev/ttyS0. That is the reason (I think) why my modem works
> terribly slowly (it takes it more than 30 seconds to respond to ATZ
> command.

Shift one of them. Easy if one of them uses hardware jumpers to set the IRQ.

>When I try to change mouse's IRQ by 'setserial /dev/ttyS0
> irq 5' it says 'device is busy'.

I found I had to run setserial before either conflicting device was started.
It seems that if you have already started your mouse (say GPM)
on ttyS0 with irq 4 you can't change the irq on ttyS2 if that was set to the
default of irq4 as well. Sounds silly, but that's the way it worked here.
I think I understand the logic behind it, but it still seems like an odd way
of doing things.

What I did was use setserial via rc.serial.
Both RH and Caldera here look in rc.serial during boot time before loading
any devices that use serial ports.

> When I use 'setserial /dev/ttyS2
> irq 5' it goes pretty well and setserial shows that irq is changed.
> But when I reboot Linux my ttyS2 is again set on IRQ 4. I couldn't
> find configuration files which tell Linux to set IRQ 4 for /dev/ttyS2

Setserial can tell linux to use a different irq.
But you also have to tell the hardware to use it too. Easiest with ISA
hardware setable irq's. Just stick the jumpers on the irqs you want to use.
Make sure nothing else is using them.
I have set the jumpers for ttyS2 and 3 to irqs 5 and 7. I don't have a
printer port
or sound card.
Here is a copy of my rc.serial.

#! /bin/bash
# This will set the extra serial ports up.
setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 5
setserial /dev/ttyS3 irq 7
#

RH and Caldera (here anyway) both run rc.serial when linux is
stating up. Normally rc.serial has an exit command at the start
so it dosn't do anything.

Shane..