----- Original Message -----
From: Linux Maillist user <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2000 3:51 AM
Subject: Linux backup server

> Hi,
>
> I have a linux box connected to the internet that hosts
> web sites for some customers.
>
> What I want is a system (software/hardware) to create
> a backup server that will take over from the primary
> a soon as the primary goes dead.
>
> Can anyone point me to the right information.
>
> Thanx in advance.
>
> --Jesse op den Brouw.

High-Availability Linux Project
http://linux-ha.org/
Free (as in both speech and beer) to create a "fail save" high-availability
linux

Linux High Availability HOWTO
http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/ALPHA/linux-ha/High-Availability-HOWTO.html
Document explain howto do HALinux

Links to differant docs on HAL
http://linux-ha.org/#Links

IBM Network Dispatch
http://www-4.ibm.com/software/network/dispatcher/
Closed source, costly "fail save" and "load blancing" high-availability over
many types of Unix(s??) including Linux

Polyserver Understudy
http://www.polyserve.com/
Close source, some what expensive "fail save" and "load blancing"
high-availability over Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, NT

LSF
http://www.science-computing.uni-tuebingen.de/produkte/lsf-en.html#release32
Not really sure, looks intresting though.  Not sure of license or cost.

Links to differant types of commerical software for Linux
http://linux-ha.org/commercial.html

These are mostly software based solutions, I haven't seen any hardware based
solutions yet, if you find any could you send over a link?  I would be
intrested in seeing what was avaiable hardware wise for this type of
sisuation.

Also you might be able to get a way with a quick script.  For example, have
machine b ping the IP every second, if it doesn't get a response, use
ifconfig to bring the ip up locally on machine b and start taking requests.
When machine a boots it checks (pings) the ip, if it is going, it starts
pinging it every second till it goes down then takes it over.  If it is
down, have machine a pick up the virtual ip in ifconfig locally.

I haven't tried this, but it might be a simplfied way of doing this.  I
don't have a script for this, never tried it, but I don't think it would be
to hard with a little perl and virtual ip-ing.  Everything (like web pages)
would have to be copied over manually, or setup a script to update via ftp,
nfs or http (wget -m) every day or so...

Jack