To the best of my knowledge, *everyone* considers finger to be a security
risk. I can't recall the last time I saw a system that permitted anything
other than local fingers.

In the context of a school (by which I assume you mean K-12, not a college),
the risk is not only to the system but to the account holders, mostly
minors, whose personal information may be accessed by anyone.