On Thu, 13 Jul 2000,  Richard Spencer wrote about,  Re: slippery slackware:
> * Richard Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [000712 18:24]:
> > First thing, what and how did you install slackware and have you run
> > "xf86config"?
> > If you are now going to run xf86config backup /etc/XF86Config first.
>
> Well now, that's a good idea! I see now that I DID run xf86config in order to
> solve a different problem. And I DID backup my working /etc/XF86Config  :-)
> So after renaming the XF86Config created during the install, X works fine.
>
> I had forgotton that the initial problem was that I couldn't DO anything once
> X and KDE were up and running (oops -- sorry about that.)
>
> Since then, I've figured out that in Slackware, unlike in RedHat, we need to
> set up the files in /etc/skel .

I never do anthing there, just leave it as is, all mine has is .less and
.lessrc

> After ensuring that /root and /etc/skel and /rks (a user account I had already
> set up) had the file .kderc and the directory .kde , I could open programs by
> pointing and clicking, but I couldn't type into the terminal window konsole!
> No keyboard input would appear in the screen.

Now that sounds like "cant find program" where program could be something
to do with the error message you see on closeing X.

Do you have the correct symbolic links that slackware requires.???

Lawson mentioned the package which creates the links in a previous mail.

> After closing X, I read the error messages which were visible, so that I'd
> be able to repeat them to the list, when I noticed I still could not use the
>keyboard.
>
> I could change using alt-F1 alt-F2 and so on, but I couldn't log in, so I had to
> implement the 3-finger salute (ctrl-alt-del.)

I think if you tryed ctrl-alt-backspace will close X for you.

> Any ideas? Following is the error message I could read regarding the keyboard; I also
> had messages regarding audio, but I'll look into that later.
>
>   The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports: " emp ">" -eml "Errors from
>xkbcomp
>   are not fatal to the X server"

That is possably not your problem as i have seen those here as well, but i
dont get keyboard problems and i normall never worry about error messages
on closing programs, as long as they work.

>   Keymap /xfree86 /var/tmp/xfree86.xkm /

Ho there, whats that, /xfree86 ????? that is a bogus directory, X servers
belong in /usr/X11R6/bin which has symbolic links here  and there.

Or is the error message cut down in size, even so, there should be NO
mention of a xfree86 directory.

> trying to run Linux 2.2.13 Slackware 7.0 and KDE, but
> instead, booting back into, and ...

Runs fine here.

--
Regards Richard