On Sun, 16 Jul 2000,  1stFlight ! wrote about,  Kernel Patch failed?:
> Hello,
>
> I just tried updating my kernel from 2.2.15 to 2.2.16 using the patch. I
> used Netscape to download it, which changed it from a gz to the unziped
> form I think (when it arrived it the .gz extension had been removed).
> Then using "patch -p0 < patch2.2.16" it appeared to update my kernel.
> But after rebooting and doing a "uname -a" it still shows my kernel as
> 2.2.15. Did I miss something?

Yes, a lot i think.

1) Its patch -p0 < patch-2.2.16
2) You "MUST" be in /usr/src to have patched properly.
3) check the kernel source with find /usr/src/linux -name *.rej
    to make sure there were no rejects, rejects mean problems no matter how
    small the *.rej files are.
4) You can edit netscape's preferancies and define that its NOT to untar or
    unzup files on downloading.
5) Even if your patch was successfully completed, you then need to do;
cd linux
edit Makefile (add an EXTRAVERSION )
make config
make dep clean bzImage
make modules modules_install
cp arch/i386/bzImage /boot/image_name
cp System.map /boot/System.map-image_name
edit /etc/lilo.conf and add a new entry for the new kernel
AND rerun
"/sbin/lilo"
Then reboot.

> Darryl