There is a proprietary HP technology that was used to make what some people
call "Winprinters". The problem was that HP didn't release the specs for the
needed interface software, so no one could write an appropriate filter for
Linux. But, if memory serves, someone managed to work around that.

To find out, look up your actual printer by name (I can't do this since you
didn't include a model number) in the database at

        http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi

and see what it says to do about setting up a filter for lpr/lpd.

Regular readers of the list might notice this is a new URL. It seems to be
the same database previously at

        http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi

Other than Samba, I don't know of a way for a Linux host to access printer
resources on a Windows server.