I'm going to answer my own question now - just in case anyone else has a
burning desire to annoy people on the other side of the room too. I sort
of stumbled across the answer while playing with Linpopup as recommended by
Mike.

>From the command line it's

smbclient -M host

as long as you've got samba installed, also the Alerter service has to be
running on NT machines to receive the message.