On Tue, 01 Aug 2000,  Steven wrote about,  Re: Serial networking ?:
> Richard Adams wrote:
> >
> > PLIP is not for the light of heart.
>
> clark  ifconfig plip1 clark pointopoint lois
> ^^^^^  route add lois
> lois   ifconfig plip1 lois pointopoint clark
> ^^^^   route add clark

I know all about that, its written in my home pages.

> Plip is not really difficult (as long as you have the
> right hardware and you eliminate any conflicts with lp).
> I suspect that most of the problems people have with
> plip arise from parallel ports which are not fully
> bi-directional.

Not only that but wrong settings in modern BIOS'es.
Faulty cables, wrong cables, cables which are tooo long, worng settings in
/proc no plipconfig on a slackware install disk and go on and on.

I use PLIP, however i have many machines here which do NOT work out of the
box, hence my saying "PLIP is not so easy".

Yes plip works, no it is NOT for the light of heart.

The first time i used PLIP it worked out of the box, when i tryed on
different machines i soon found out that it aint always like the book says.

--
Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]