At 11:04 AM 8/2/00 -0500, Jim Reimer wrote:
>Well, the dead drive's in the trash, the new one is in the machine.  This
>one is 10 Gig, the smallest available at the local store.  In the past,
>I've always just dumped everything into one partition, but this drive is
>big enough that I think it should be broken down a bit.
>
>Requesting guidance on which root directories should have their own
>partitions ( I'm thinking /, /usr, and /home - any others? )
Conventional answer: the ones you listed, plus /var and /tmp . Possibly
/boot (a small partition created as the first one) if needed to satisfy LILO
constraints.

>and how big
>they should be - either as an absolute size or as a percentage of the
>whole.  (This is a stand-alone system, one user, no mail, news, etc.)

Much harder to answer. Almost any choices that are not obviously ridiculous
will work in the setting you describe. I'd probably do this ...

        /       - 1 gig
        /usr    - 2 gigs
        /home   - 4 gigs
        /var    - 0.5 gigs
        /tmp    - 0.5 gigs
        /boot   - 50 megs
        /swap   - as needed
        /spare  - whatever is left (or add it to /usr or /home)