First, the 24 vs 32 meg issue:

This is only a wild guess, but does your mobo perhaps have onboard video?
Some mobos (not all) with onboard video use "shared" memory for video, which
means that the video card uses a portion of the memory that would normally
be available to the system. On the one such mobo I have, video grabs 8 mb --
eithe an interesting coincidence or, possibly, the reason for your missing
memory.

Only a guess, though. In any case, since (you say) it happens with Windows
as well as with Linux, it surely is some sort of BIOS-level phenomenon, not
a Linux problem as such.

On the partition issue: first. hda2 is "eating" 1K, not 1M, of space by your
report. (If this report were in megabytes, your hdd would be a 10-terabyte
drive, a size even I would find daunting.)

Second, it is surely an extended partition, sort of a "wrapper" that in turn
holds the partition table for hda5 and hda6. IDE drives can have only 4
"real" partitions. They can be 4 primary partitions or 3 primary and 1
extended partition. In the second case, the extended can hold any number (or
at least some large number) of additional "logical" partitions.

Look at the drive a bit more carefully  with fdisk or cfdisk and you will
probably see this relationship.