begin  Hammond Ryan E 1stLt SAS/CCS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> quotation:

> I am compiling some fairly basic code that keeps crashing and generating a
> core dump.  I'm trying a simple malloc, similar to:
>
> char *ptr;
> ptr = malloc(1);
>
> for example.
> I'm not used to using gdb yet ... can anyone explain why *all*
> malloc (or calloc) calls might be crashing?  Is there a package I can Update
> that will make sure my c libs are up-to-date, etc?

        I would be curious to see the *actual* piece of source code
        that is giving you problems, as not all calls to malloc are
        failing (I promise. Otherwise your machine would grind to a
        sreeching halt :-) I would guess that there's a bug there?

        I don't know though. Is the machine itself odd? Did you hand
        upgrade libc5 to glibc or somesuch?

        You don't say what distribution of linux you are running, so I
        can't tell you how to check if you have up to date libraries.

        If you have a reasonably standard machine (oh.. < 6 month old
        install of any major distribution (slack,rh,suse,debian...))
        Please to be sending at least me the source (If it is too long
        for the whole list), as that's probably where the problem is.

have fun,

greg

--
segment doesn't find