On Thu, 03 Aug 2000,  Nauman ul-Haque wrote about,  X 4.0.1 and /etc/termcap:
> Hi!
> I am running a RH 6.2 machine. I tried to upgrade to X 4.0.1 but it is all
> messed up now. I downloaded the binaries from xfree86.org and used the
> Xinstall.sh script to install everything. Everythng worked fine till then. I
> was told to edit the /etc/termcap file and replace the old Xterm entries
> with the new ones, specified file. I did so, and ran xf86config. But this
> wont work, and this is the message i get....
> UnloadModule: "vga" (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable
> configuration.

I suppose you did not make a backup copy of termcap did you.????

> Fatal server error: no screens found

I think it would be safe to say (and bet) that this has nothing to do with
termcap, it has to do with the X server NOT being able to determine ANY
screen resolutions as there are none defined.

If you ran xf86config then you "must" have made a mistake somewhere as
xf86config WILL define screens for you.

> I assume this is still the termcap error, so please if any one who is runing
> this, or anything, help me or mail me your termcap file.

O dear, why in heels bells name did you not make a "backup"
cp termcap termcap.org
would have done nicely.

Never simply edit a file like that, one dot, dash, slash or number to many
or little wil mess everything up.

You can get a new one for you distro from the same site you got your souce
from.

--
Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]