Thank you so much for this wonderful explanation. I solved the problem by
deleting folder user ~/.links and then opening Links again. Links seems to be
sensitive about working in this folder like editing the bookmarks file outside
Links.

Regards

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Peter wrote:

> Hi,
> I have been using Links browser for a few days and all worked fine when
> now
> suddenly I can not open it any longer as user, but only as su. Trying
> open
> it as user it spits back "Segmentation fault (core dumped)". The chown
> setting
> doesn't matter, user or root.
> Why would that be and how do I revert back that user can open it again?
>
> What means segmentation fault in this respect anyhow?

A segment fault is the i386 hardware's way of telling a program it has
its head wedged.  Never mind what you may have heard about linear
address spaces, the i386 is a segmented architechture.   Any invalid
address can only be reported as a segment fault.  It could be a
subscript out of bounds, or more likely in this case the program is
trying to do as a user what it can only do as root.  the iopl system
call, for instance, will segment fault if executed by any user other
than user 0.  Maybe the program had suid, and you disturbed it by doing
a chown or chgrp.  I can't find the reference right now, but changing
owner or group on a file unsets its special permissions, such as 4000
suid "make me root when I execute".  I hope this will help you make
sense of the other answer you got.

> Thanks and regards
>
> Peter

Lawson

What the anvil, what the chain?
In what furnace burned thy brain?    - William Blake