* Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [000804 15:16]:
> Richard Spencer wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> >
> > # IMG_SIZE=`mkisofs -R -q -print-size audio/ 2>&1 | sed -e "s/.* = //"`
> > # echo $IMG_SIZE
> > 323323
> > # [ "0$IMG_SIZE" -ne 0 ] && mkisofs -r audio/ |cdrecord  blank=all
> >   -force speed=2 dev=0,6,0 tsize=${IMG_SIZE}s -audio -pad  -
> >
> <snip>
>
> I don't know what exactly you try to achieve? If you want to make an
> audio CD (not an CDROM containing audio files), then you do not need
> mkisofs at all. mkisofs is all about CDROMs. I see three possibilities
> for what you want to do:
>
> 1.) You _really_ want to make a CDROM with audio files in an ISO9660 fs:
>     You then simply issue
>     prompt$ mkisofs -R -J audio | cdrecord -v dev=0,6,0 speed=2 -
>
> 2.) You want to make an audio CD (to be played with consumer CD
> players):
>     This will put 2 second gaps between each track.
>     You then need no mkisofs, only leave the audio tracks as
>     WAV files and issue
>     prompt$ cdrecord -v dev=0,6,0 speed=2 -audio audio/*.wav
>     or expicitly name the files in case *.wav produces the wrong
>     sequence...
>
> 2') Like 2, but you want fine-grained control over gaps:
>     Use cdrdao. The CD-Writing-HOWTO is not very good at
>     describing this program, but the homepage (easily found by
>     using a search engine) of cdrdao gives some good examples of usage.
>
> Additionally, if you have a CDRW that has data on it, you need to first
> erase it (not together with writing!): Either use
>
> a)  $ cdrecord -v blank=fast dev=0,6,0 speed=2
>     or
> b)  - if a) produces errors when writing to the erased disk -
>     $ cdrecord -v blank=all dev=0,6,0 speed=2

Thanks Marc!  short answer: method no. 2

I had a bunch of mp3 files hanging around, from a while ago,
when I ripped some of my audio CDs. Recently, I decided to put
selected tracks onto a CD, for playback in my car CD system.

I guess I could always re-rip the tracks from the CD, but I thought
it handy that I had it all those songs in one place.

Question: if I use method 2, with the gaps, do you know
if I'll hear "pops" or "cracks" if I use "shuffle" or "random play?"

Also do I need to erase CDRW media if I simply messed up the 1st attempt?
(No data, per se.)
--
det spelar ingen roll