Well .. I've used the Debian grub package and found it pretty easy to
install. Don't have it running at the moment, so I can only write from
memory ... after installing the package, basically you copy a few files to
/boot/grub, set up a simple config file, and run an installer (like you run
lilo). Then at boottime you get a menu of available kernels for a 30-second
countdown. Worked fine for me. But I don't know the details of how other
distributions package grub (or even which ones do).

But it might be worth your while to take a moment to tell us about your
1024-cylinder problem. It might be fixable, permitting you to stay with
lilo. The usual solution is to create a small (20-50 megs) partition as the
HD's *first* partition, then mount it as /boot . This forces the stuff in
/boot, all the kernels and related stuff, to be within the first 1024 cylinders.

At 01:03 AM 8/5/00 -0400, David Aikema wrote:
>I have been having problems getting Turbolinux and Corel Linux to work due
the >1024 cylinder limit of lilo.

>On the Caldera site it talks about grub being included with Openlinux 2.4
to get around this limitation.  However the user guide available on the site
only makes mention of lilo.

>I am debating whether or not to purchase this distro but there seems to be
a strange lack of documentation regarding it.  How do I get grub running
instead of the lilo the user guide talks about?  I'm just hoping to finally
get linux booting on the machine.