Charles --

Some of what you post here is too vague to troubleshoot. I'll answer what I can.

You write:

>If I:
>insmod ne
>/lib/modules/2.2.13/net/ne.o: unresolved symbol ei_open
>" ethdev_init
>" and about 4 more lines

ne.o requires that 8390.o be installed first. So either do that with insmod
or use modprobe to install ne.o (it takescare of dependencies for you).

Now, you also write:

> I've compiled a kernel with lots of modules except my boot media.
>I have 'make dep clean zImage zdisk modules modules_install'
>seemingly withour error.
>
> I see lots of 'unresolved sysbols' when booting.

It would help if *I* could see them too. But it sounds like you never
actually install the zImage you create; at least you don't mention doing so.
But the modules_install step may be causing the new modules to overwrite the
old ones (depends on what kernel version you are using). Either install the
new kernel hy hand or (if your kernel Makefile supports it) do a "make
install" step. Be sure to run lilo after you do this.

You write:

>If I:
>ifconfig eth0
>eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found.

Probably because the module fails, so eth0 doesn't exist.

You write:

> I did something somewhere while trying to get this NIC to work
>with isapnp, cause when the kernel boots I see this message:
>"don't know what to do with IRQ 10 on or around line 22".
>
> I wonder what file I edited to cause this.  Hmmmm.

Me too. You aren't asking us to tell you what file you edited, are you?
Without context (where in the boot/init dsequence is this? what precedes and
follows it?) it's just a guessing game. Anyway, if you've assigned the card
a fixed io and irq with its setup probram, you shouldn't be messing about
with isapnp.

You write:

> alias ne io=0x2a0 irq=10 #<-- added line. ? that's a decimal ten right?

Yes. You can enter the IRQ in hex, but you need to use the 0x prefix. so
irq=0xA would also be acceptable. (As would nothing; ne.o requires the io=
paramtere but not the irq= one.)