The 'noauth' change did it

First I just added 'noauth' to my 'ppp-on' script and it ran fine, with the
connection remaining intact until 'poff'. Then I removed 'noauth' from my
script and added it to /etc/ppp/options with the same effect. Despite the
pleading in /etc/ppp/options not to disable auth, I followed Lawson's
suggestion and left 'noauth' there

Once I had ppp fired up I tried fetchmail, having previously set up
.fetchmailrc. I ran fetchmail -v -v and got:

fetchmail: querying email.msn.com (protocol POP3) at Sun Aug 6 15:38:42 2000
fetchmail: POP3 connection to email.msn.com failed: name is valid but has no
IP address
fetchmail: Query status=2
fetchmail: normal termination, status 2

These results were the same when or not DNS was enabled in .fetchmailrc

The output from fetchmail -V follows:

This is fetchmail release 4.6.4
Linux debian 2.2.12 #2 Thu Aug 26 11:46:26 PDT 1999 i686 unknown
Taking options from command line and /root/.fetchmailrc
Idfile is /root/.fetchids
Fetchmail will forward misaddressed multidrop messages to postmaster.
Options for retrieving from [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
  True name of server is email.msn.com.
  Protocol is POP3.
  Server nonresponse timeout is 300 seconds (default).
  Default mailbox selected.
  Only new messages will be retrieved (--all off).
  Fetched messages will be kept on the server (--keep on).
  Old messages will not be flushed before message retrieval (--flush off).
  Rewrite of server-local addresses is enabled (--norewrite off).
  Carriage-return stripping is disabled (stripcr off).
  Carriage-return forcing is disabled (forcecr off).
  Interpretation of Content-Transfer-Encoding is enabled (pass8bits off).
  MIME decoding is disabled (mimedecode off).
  Nonempty Status lines will be kept (dropstatus off)
  Messages will be SMTP-forwarded to: email.msn.com
  Host part of MAIL FROM line will be 204.255.246.17
  Recognized listener spam block responses are: 571 550 501
  Single-drop mode: 1 local name(s) recognized.
  No UIDs saved from this host.

The modprobe message continues in /etc/ppp/connect-errors

Attempting to break the connection with /etc/ppp/ppp-off produces:

bash: /etc/ppp/ppp-off: Permission denied

This is a puzzlement since I wrote it (copying O'Reilly)

The script reads:

kill 'cat /var/run/ppp0.pid'

poff terminates the connection successfully
using pon (instead of my /etc/ppp/ppp-on script) also gets me a good
connection

I seemingly sent myself mail via sendmail, but it certainly hasn't arrived.
I wrote:

sendmail [EMAIL PROTECTED] 'sendmail test'
.
Ctl-D

I assume once I 'pon' or '/etc/ppp/ppp-on' I can then rev up any application
that wants to use the connection. How do I integrate the dialup into
fetchmail/sendmail/exim . . . or should I?

David