If memory serves me, the 1620 was a decimal machine that didn't have an
arithmetic unit, add and multiply was performed by trap routines using
table look-up.  My first binary machine was an IBM 7094 w/ 32K of 36-bit
words, 4 256/512 bpi tape drives, a 300 card/minute card reader and a
300 lpm line printer (no disk).  In '64 we upgraded to dual CDC 3600s
with 32K of 48-bit words each and 32K words of shared memory, 8 tape
drives each, 1200 lpm printers and 1200 cpm card readers; still no
disks.  These were the Eastern Missle Test Range's Range Safety
Instantaneous Impact Point computers and there were 2 so that the range
was "Man Rated," supposedly everything had a backup.  All s/w was
assembly language because it took 4 u-sec to do a floating point add.  I
remember modifying the arithmetic sub-pack used to calculate trig
functions and logs to remove all error returns; these were realtime
routines and if you stopped, you knew you were wrong, if you just got a
wrong answer, you might still be right on the next computation cycle 100
ms later.  I didn't learn a compiler language (Fortran-77) until 1980.

Joe