Well, I resolved my problem with my new Linksys 100LNETX V 4.1 nic.
I returned it and bought a Netgear FA311 and with the driver that
they provided, had it up and running in 10 minutes.

In conclusion:
        My old 100LNETX (169 chip) works great.
        Linksys's support, while didn't solve the problem, had a really human
being to talk to
                and spent time with me.  I tested Netgear's support (email only) and
got a lame
                reply.  As a matter of fact, their support told me to use the tulip.c
driver
                which is NO LONGER CORRECT for the FA311/FA312 cards.  He didn't even
know
                that they now provide their own driver on the installation disk.
        The Netgear nic came with a diskette (which was bad) which was for a
FA312 card. The box
                was marked FA312, but the card was the FA311.  A fun time trying to
get Windoze to
                install the drivers.

So, nothing has really changed when it comes to vendors providing
knowledge and support.  Thank
goodness for people out there in the user community like Ray Olszewski
and others who spent their
time helping out us fools, err, newbies. :)

Funny thing, after all of the ideas that people sent me, and my attempts
to get the network card
working, I couldn't reboot my machine as I had messed up my BIOS
settings, was trying to boot from
the wrong drive (IDE1) after installing a new copy to a second drive,
etc etc etc.  Well, at least
software RAID was easy to set up.