At 07:46 AM 8/9/00 +0530, Webmaster - prayagonline.com wrote:
>hi,
>       i have 2 ery simple questions :
>
>1.) I need to issure the commands halt / reboot from a telnet connection
>logged on as a different user ... so what to do ??

If you are accessing the machine remotely, you have to be root to do this.
(Do you *really* want anyone who can log into your system able to reboot or
halt it? I don't.) So the only option is to su to root then execute the
commands.

>2.) I want to change the message that appears befor the login prompt ...
>   i changes the /etc/issue and /etc/issue.net
>
>but ti guess that got overwritten when i rebooted ..

Yes. Or at least probably yes. grep through the init scripts for the ones
that write to issue and issue.net (varies by distribution) and comment out
the troublesome lines.