I just tried to install smail on the theory that it would be useful to start with a simple pkg that had many of sendmail's features. I ran into a dpkg error msg:

dpkg: error processing smail...deb (--install): conflicting packages - not installing sendmai

In the preceding lines, I was informed that exim is MTA