Charles -- I don't have ready access to your earlier postings about your
problem, so please forgive me if some of this repeats things that I (or
others) have already said.

You are setting your kernel config file to do the NE2000 driver as a module:

        CONFIG_NE2000=m

According to the config file you posted for us to lok at, it is NOT
"compiled into the kernel".

Similarly, you are setting it to compile NFS support as a module:

        CONFIG_NFS_FS=m

nfsd starts because some rc script tells it to. Th fact that nfs.o is not
available may mean it doesn't work properly ... I always get a bit mixed up
about what NFS components are needed for the client, what ones for the
server, though, so I may be wrong there.

Can't help you specifically with the NLS codepages, since I don't know what
they are.

But the question you really need answered is: Why aren't the modules
compiling? To explore it ...

What process are you following when actually compiling the kernel? Are you
doing the compile on the same machine that you use the kernel on? If not,
how are you transferring the kernel and the associated modules from the
compiling host to the target host? Might you be missing the step of
transferring the modules?

When compiling, are you going through the steps "make modules" and "make
modules_install" as described in the README file in the root directory for
the kernel (probably /usr/src/linux/README)?

Do you have the kernel source tree (probably /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.13)
or something close to that) symlinked the way the Makefile expects (probably
as /usr/src/linux)?

This is what I can think of offhand. If none if this identifies the problem,
I'd suggest you review the procedures you use when compiling, and any error
(not warning - you'll get a lot of those even with a erfecrt compile)
messages you are getting from the compiler.