At 02:39 PM 8/14/00 -0700, Nigel Osman wrote:
>I installed REDHAT 6.2 recently and found I can't
>telnet to it. I have no problem to go out. I found I
>don't have inetd.conf in /etc.. or xinetd.conf..
>What is the reason? How can I solve?

Well ... you can't telnet because you don't have inetd running (and you
don't have a standalone telnetd daemon running, but no one really does it
that way any more). So ... why no inetd.conf?

I recall you mentioning that you sis a "workstation" install of RH. I'm not
up to date on RH instalation defaults, but there is no terribly good reason
to run inetd on workstations, so maybe the default doesn't install it. It's
probably in the "netbase" package (that's the relevent Debian package, and
these names don''t cary all that much from one distribution to another).

Perhaps someone with specific RH experience can help more, but checking on
that is all I can suggest.