I've got a somewhat broad question on the suitability of nilfs for various workloads and different backing storage devices. From what I understand from the documentation available, the idea is to always write sequentially, and thus avoid slow random writes on old/naive SSDs. Hence I have a few questions.

1) Modern SSDs (e.g. Intel) do this logical/physical mapping internally, so that the writes happen sequentially anyway. Does nilfs demonstrably provide additional benefits on such modern SSDs with sensible firmware?

2) Mechanical disks suffer from slow random writes (or any random operation for that matter), too. Do the benefits of nilfs show in random write performance on mechanical disks?

3) How does this affect real-world read performance if nilfs is used on a mechanical disk? How much additional file fragmentation in absolute terms does nilfs cause?

4) As the data gets expired, and snapshots get deleted, this will inevitably lead to fragmentation, which will de-linearize writes as they have to go into whatever holes are available in the data. How does this affect nilfs write performance?

5) How does the specific writing amount measure against other file systems (I'm specifically interested in comparisons vs. ext2). What I mean by specific writing amount is for writing, say, 100,000 random sized files, how many write operations and MBs (or sectors) of writes are required for the exact same operation being performed on nilfs and ext2 (e.g. as measured by vmstat -d).

Many thanks.

Gordan