On Fri 30-09-16 02:14:18, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 06:08:04PM +0200, Jan Kara wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > this is a third revision of my patches to clear dirty bits from radix tree
> > of
> > DAX inodes when caches for corresponding pfns have been flushed. This patch
> > set
> > is significantly larger than the previous version because I'm changing how
> > ->fault, ->page_mkwrite, and ->pfn_mkwrite handlers may choose to handle the
> > fault
>
> Btw, is there ny good reason to keep ->fault, ->pmd_fault, page->mkwrite
> and pfn_mkwrite separate these days?  All of them now take a struct
> vm_fault, and the differences aren't exactly obvious for callers and
> users.

IMO ->fault and ->pmd_fault can be merged, ->page_mkwrite and ->pfn_mkwrite
can be merged. There were even patches flying around for that. I want to do
that but it's not a priority now as the patch set it already large enough.

I'm not sure whether merging ->fault and ->page_mkwrite would be really
helpful and it would certainly require some non-trivial changes in the
fault path. For example currently a write fault of a file mapping will
result in first ->fault being called which handles the read part of the
fault and then ->page_mkwrite is called to handle write-enabling of the
PTE. When the handlers would be merged, calling one handler twice would be
really strange.

                                                                Honza
--
Jan Kara <j...@suse.com>