On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 04:46:00PM -0800, Dan Williams wrote:
> In the case of filesystem-dax (xfs or ext4) a punch hole operation is
> effective for clearing a media error.

Which at best is a third order side effect of what it actually does:
release allocated space.  Which is something we can do on various
block devices (SCSI with thin provisioning, device mapper) as well.

> It will deallocate blocks and
> the zeroing that is performed when the blocks are reallocated will
> clear media errors. We want the same semantic for device-dax.
> FALLOC_FL_PUNCH_HOLE triggers the driver stack to clear any media
> errors, although unlike the filesystem case there are no physical
> ranges de-allocated from the device. With support for this subset of
> fallocate we can avoid needing to add a custom ioctl for similar
> functionality.

It's in no way similar functionality.  It's absuing an interface for
something entirely different.

So NAK to this series.