> > Current omap hsmmc driver is not pm friendly. Build it as a module
> > because it prevents omap3 retention.
>
> Small comment.
>
> At least this patch shouldn't be reverted, there's no reason
> for not building drivers as modules. I'll do the same
> to musb.

Actually there is. It really depends on what you want to do with the system.

For instance, the case where you are running a tight embedded system with a
ramdisk filesystem - the modules would have to sit on the filesystem and would
occupy precious space there. You might be better off having everything built
into the kernel.

That being said, in my opinion it should be possible to have everything as
modules with little difference in functionality. In this case if the OMAP HSMMC
driver is not PM-friendly, then that should be fixed. Making it build as a
module is at best a __temporary__ solution as Jouni points out.

The choice of building drivers into the kernel or as modules should be left to
whoever builds the kernel. The defconfigs make life easy during testing but
otherwise there is little reason to change them.

My $0.02,
Anand