As far as ifdefs are concerned, they are added to take care of OMAP2/3
variants. Especially you will find many instances of CONFIG_ARCH_OMAP3410 and
the reason is obvious, OMAP3410 doesn't have VENC. As I have mentioned before,
DSS library is designed to support both LCD, TV, and many more.

> Also there are strange things defined, like L4_VIRT

You are right; the code requires little-bit cleaning. There are some macros
defined which driver or library doesn't use. We are in the process of cleaning
and soon will be posting patches.

> My biased and superficial view of the differences between my DSS and
> yours is that:

Tomi, here I differ from you. There should not be biased opinion. What we are
looking here is a good design which will fulfill all our requirements/use case,
like LCD, DVI, HDMI and TV for us and DSI, RFBI for you.

> - My implementation is cleaner, better organized and more generic

Again, here both of us will be having biased comments to support our own
design, so I would prefer not to comment on this. Lets people on the community
decide whose design is better.

> - My implementation has support for DSI, SDI, RFBI, L4 updates

DSI, SDI and RFBI are the modes, which we can add anytime to the system
depending as per our requirement.
It is again driven by use case; you have use cases for DSI, SDI and RFBI. We
have for TV, DVI, HDMI and LCD, so we strongly concentrated on these.

We can very well add these supports to DSS Library with minimal effort.

> - Your implementation has better support for "extra" things like VRFB,
> color conversions, alpha etc.
> - Your implementation most likely has better power management support.
> - And of course what is most visible to the user, my version uses only
> framebuffers, and yours uses also v4l2 devices.

You really can't deny the V4L2 framework advantages over framebuffer,
especially for streaming kind of applications. Looking towards the hardware
features OMAP supports; we would really require to have such
support/capabilities. Community is also in agreement for the V4L2 interface on
OMAP-DSS.

Tony/Hans,
Your comments would be helpful here.

> As for the future, I have no choice but to keep using my DSS as we need
> the features it has. I feel it would be quite a big job to get those in
> to your driver. And even if I had a choice, I (unsurprisingly =) think
> that my version is better and would stick to it.

It's your personal choice to stick to whichever code base you want, I don't
want to comment on that. But what I believe is, with your design we are
limiting ourselves from supporting most of the features which hardware
provides.

We can work together to add more support to DSS library.

> Have you had time to look at my code after I changed the overlay
> handling? I've put the most recent version to a public git tree at
> http://www.bat.org/~tomba/git/linux-omap-dss.git/ and I'll try to keep that
> up to date.

Definitely I will review this code base, and will appreciate if I found
something good.