Hi Jani,

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 9:28 PM, Jani Nikula
<ext-jani.1.nik...@nokia.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 17:29 +0200, ext Juha Yrjölä wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 04:52:32PM +0200, Jani Nikula wrote:
>>
>> > The switches themselves don't change (nor does this patch support
>> > changing them), but different kinds of external devices may be connected
>> > to the GPIO swiches. It would be useful to be able to change the
>> > notification callbacks and debounce timeouts according to the device.
>>
>> Could you give an example use-case?
>
> For example a jack that supports headsets with a button. The button
> could function by simply grounding one of the lines (connected to a
> GPIO, of course) or by generating some sort of an interrupt pulse. The
> jack might support other kinds of accessories as well. And the required
> actions and settling times might differ vastly.
>
>> If the gpio-switch framework starts
>> getting extended and used more, it might be sensible to convert it to
>> the general GPIO API, as Trilok suggested.
>
> I agree with this, but I'm afraid I don't have the time to extend the
> scope of my work that much right now.

OK, I found other guys (android ??) using such home brew frameworks.
Time to write a switch framework.

android-msm git tree: drivers/switch

Link:
http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=kernel/msm.git;a=tree;f=drivers/switch;h=b064ed6374257163439f861f105a651126f11f08;hb=HEAD

As you have explained above headset and headset switch/button
detection usecase, similar one is in case of android using their
switch framework:

Link:
http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=kernel/msm.git;a=blob;f=arch/arm/mach-msm/board-trout-h2w.c;h=c6dfd726adb6decf5b5e1a9d18606b2154b8f229;hb=refs/heads/android-msm-htc-2.6.25

--