On 18/03/14 16:55, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> I'm looking at the omap-serial driver and saw that you added rts-gpio
> binding in commit 4a0ac0f55b18dc297a87a85417fcf068658bf103 (OMAP: add
> RS485 support) but, as it turns out, gpio0_13 and gpio2_15 are both
> actual RTS signals.
>
> Instead of adding that extra GPIO handling, why didn't you just mux
> those signals as RTS and enable auto-RTS/auto-CTS feature ?
>
> It looks to me like that's highly unnecessary binding.

I agree !!

I think it was to allow delays pre- and post- sending the comms data.

Several RS485 drivers require a "warm up" time before they will
transmit data correctly, and also need a "cool down" time to prevent
clipping of the last few bits of data.

IIRC the built-in RTS handling did not allow for this.

It also allows the RTS signal to be "inverted", again required for
some RS485 driver chips.

However, I'll dig into why I did this and report back.

Mark J.