Hi Marek,

On Friday 04 April 2014 14:23:57 Marek Szyprowski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm sorry for a delay, I've got back from my holidays and I'm still busy
> trying to get thought all the emails.

No worries.

> On 2014-03-17 23:44, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> > > Actually, I think there is one another use case, even with remoteprocs
> > > which is to runtime map buffers. This is different from the firmware
> > > management. The memory for buffers could have been allocated from other
> > > subsystems, but remoteproc would need just to manage the VA space and
> > > map.
> >
> > Right, although you might not always have to manage the VA space in that
> > case. Anyway, if your driver needs to manage the VA space for the
> > firmware, it should be able to manage the VA space for the buffers using
> > the same IOMMU API.
>
> I've already seen some use cases which require to give a client device
> limited access to DMA mapping IOMMU related structures. If we agree on API,
> I see no problems to add such calls to dma-mapping. However in the most
> common case I would like to hide the presence of IOMMU from the client
> device at all.

I agree with you. I'd like to hide the IOMMU completely by default, but some
drivers will need fine-grained control over the IOMMU and will thus likely
need direct access. I really see two ways to solve this, either allowing
drivers to manage the IOMMU directly when required, or extending the DMA API
to allow some degree of IOMMU management in cooperation with the DMA API
implementation. I'm not sure which is best, as I don't know all our current
uses cases for direct IOMMU access in details, and I can't obviously foresee
all the future use cases.

To achieve transparent IOMMU handling for drivers we need to move the
arm_iommu_create_mapping() and arm_iommu_attach_device() calls from bus
masters (IOMMU clients) device drivers to a more central location. This could
be the IOMMU drivers, the IOMMU core, the bus drivers, ... However, if we
decide to allow drivers direct control over the IOMMU, we also need to make
those calls conditional, and thus give a way to device drivers to opt-out.

> > > Can this be done through iommu_domain_set_attr? But that means the
> > > client driver has to dictate this. The iommu driver can be configured
> > > appropriately based on this.
> >
> > The problem with that approach is that IOMMU client (bus master) drivers
> > would need a pointer to the IOMMU domain. That's what we want to avoid in
> > the first place :-)

> > The IOMMU client driver would know that. Or, to be accurate, it should
> > either know that it wants to manage the IOMMU directly, or should ignore
> > the IOMMU completely.

> > A driver can't access the IOMMU device directly, but the IOMMU API uses
> > IOMMU domains, not IOMMU devices. Drivers can create domains and then
> > access the IOMMU API. The association with a particular IOMMU instance is
> > currently left to the IOMMU driver, that usually gets that information
> > from platform data or DT in a driver-specific way. I think this should be
> > standardized, especially in the DT case.
> >
> > What drivers can't do at the moment is accessing the IOMMU API using a
> > domain they haven't created themselves. A two drivers requiring direct
> > access to an IOMMU sharing the same domain wouldn't be possible. That
> > might not be a problem we need to solve now though.

> > This only needs to be taken into account for drivers that require direct
> > control of the IOMMU. Those drivers are currently expected to manage the
> > whole VA space themselves. They can do so internally, or using a library
> > such as iova, yes, but they won't use the DMA API IOMMU integration.

> > > This would all need some rearranging of course. It is also not about
> > > just disabling the clocks, we may have to assert the resets as well, due
> > > to couple of issues on OMAP4 and beyond.
> >
> > Right.

> > > Yeah, agreed. remoteproc firmware memory will stay mapped in even when
> > > we power off IOMMU, we just preserve the required IOMMU context. I
> > > expect the suspend/resume code to preserve any locked TLBs and the TTB
> > > address. The page table entries would be auto-preserved as long as we
> > > don't free the table.
> >
> > I don't want to force the IOMMU to be powered on when a mapping exists,
> > but at the moment the driver powers it on when a device is attached,
> > which is even worse. Moving the pm_runtime_get/set calls to map/unmap
> > would be an improvement compared to the current situation, but is
> > obviously not the perfect solution.
>
> Basically the IOMMU should be enabled when client device called
> pm_runtime_get_sync() and can disabled after client's pm_runtime_put(). Too
> bad that this cannot be easily done.

Too bad indeed :-)

> Initially I hooked IOMMU device as a parent device for the client device.
> This worked quite fine until pm_domain has been introduced. With pm_domains
> things are much more complicated, because we cannot use parent relationship
> (it won't work). For internal use a hack proposed by Cho KyongHo, where
> IOMMU driver replaces pm_domain_ops of the client device. I'm working on
> finding a less hacky solution.

I was thinking about using some kind of PM notifier, but that might be a very
naive approach. Have you considered it ?

> For a reference, please check drivers/iommu/exynos-iommu.c file from the
> following repo:
> https://review.tizen.org/git/?p=platform/kernel/linux-3.10.git;a=shortlog;h=
> refs/heads/tizen

Laurent Pinchart