Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

Right.  You are aware that there is already a mechanism for doing this
in the generic kernel (obviously not)?

I am. Unfortunately, glibc fails to support this mechanism, as you say. I didn't want to start making such intrusive changes for our trivial need.

sys_reboot() with LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_RESTART2 takes a string in addition
to the standard parameters.  This string is passed into machine_restart()
which we currently ignore.  If LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_RESTART is used, this
string is NULL.

We could change machine_restart() to pass this parameter through to
arm_pm_restart() and ultimately down to arch_reset().

Sure. With RESTART2, I could've even used the reboot notifier chain with an OMAP3-specific driver to store the string.

Are you suggesting to get rid of reboot_mode altogether? If not, could we still have the sysfs mechanism? A one-character reboot_mode would be plenty enough for us.

Cheers,
Juha