Hi Hiroshi,

As per [1], GFP_TEMPORARY might be the right approach.. but yes,
Changing dummy to do:
dma_alloc_coherent(NULL, b[i].size, &b[i].phy, GFP_TEMPORARY);

Seems to resolve the issue with the dummy driver.

The question however still remains: For a driver to allocate a memory which is
not temporary in nature we'd recommend GFP_KERNEL. But as part of the exit
sequence the driver will deallocate that memory and as part of init sequence,
reallocate. Given that the memory is not reclaimed immediately, it looks like
the only way to ensure that would be to do GFP_KERNEL | __GFP_RECLAIMABLE
(which essentially is the definition of GFP_TEMPORARY).

Regards,
Nishanth Menon
Ref:
[1] http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0705.2/0638.html