Hi,

* Pandita, Vikram <vikram.pand...@ti.com> [2009-08-27 19:16:27]:

> Why?
>
> I know of an implementation by Vimal Singh that introduces a common
> flash file for Zoom1 and Zoom2.
> There is reuse of code there.

Thanks for your comments.

There are indeed other implentations around using a common flash file
for Zoom1 and Zoom2 boards. I didn't know of this specific
implementation by Vimal Singh, but we use something very similar
internally.

Since linux-omap didn't had any MTD partitions definitions for either
boards, I decided to go for the smallest change: only partitions for
Zoom2.

> Please discuss and get a converged approach on handling NAND
> partitions on Zoom1 and Zoom2.

Agreed. We should use a common file for Zoom1 and Zoom2 flash, with
Zoom2 specific partition sizes. But I'm not sure I deserve the right to
propose Vimal Singh's patch (by the way, why hasn't it been merged in
the linux-omap tree?). How should we proceed then?

> Also the Systerm/User/Cache partition definitions are more from Android
> perspective.
>
> Given that each system may have a different NAND partition requirement,
> have you looked at bootargs passing the MTD partition info: Eg:
>
> mtdparts=omap2-nand.0:5...@0(xloader),\
> 15...@512k(bootloader),\
> 2...@2m(kernel),\
> 1...@32m(system),\
> 3...@192m(userdata),\
> 3...@224m(cache)

Yes, I am aware of the mtdparts command line arguments, which works
great. I think a "default", sensible partition layout for the Zoom2
would be nice though.

- Maxime

--
Maxime Petazzoni