Thank you very much for your response. As you might have gathered, I seem to
have it working but your feedback is really appreciated. I hope to do another
run of these boards with these fixes.

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:57:27 -0400, Ned Forrester <nforres...@whoi.edu> wrote:

> Your problem is likely caused by pulling the THREE STATE pin to 5V.  The
> spec sheet is explicit (in the Absolute Maximum ratings on page 2, and
> in the functional description on page 12 that this pin should be pulled
> to VL, not VCC to enable the outputs.  Likely by pulling it to 5V the
> some part of the chip is biased wrong and may cause OVL1 to be pulled
> above VL.

You are absolutely right. I don't know how I missed that. I just reworked my
existing board and it seems to be fine now. A very good find. Thanks a ton.

> I can't exactly explain the symptoms you report above, based on the
> mis-connected pin, but most anything could be happening in the MAX3390
> once the absolute maximum ratings have been exceeded.  The 10K resistors
> on the THREE STATE lines may have saved the circuit from permanent
> damage, but they may not save it from improper operation.

Well, thankfully at least one of the channels works. Unfortunately, I somehow
managed to replace one of the 10k resistors with a 1 ohm, so it's possible that
one of the level shifters on this board is fried. Naturally, I've been sampling
all of my parts thusfar and only now realized that the MAX1303 is unavailable
through the traditional channels (e.g. Digikey, Newark).

> Other suggestions, nothing fatal...
>
> 1. The pinout of the MAX3390E on the drawing is for the TSSOP package.
> Hopefully that is the package you actually used.

Yep, it is.

> 2. All uncommitted inputs should be terminated high or low.  This
> applies to: LS2 pins 4, 5 and 13; LS3 pin 13 and possibly unused pins on
> the A/Ds and D/A.

Very good point. I really should be a little more careful about this.

> 3. The MAX3390E family has extremely low drive capability and slow
> response.  Is this device really fast enough for your intended clock
> rates?  Note that the device can only pull down 1ma, and can only pull
> up 20ua.  If there are any pull-downs or pull-ups on the BeagleBoard,
> the MAX3390E might not be able to drive them.

You are right. I had a remarkably difficult time sourcing level shifters for
this project at first because I wasn't intending on getting a PCB made. For
this reason, I standardized on TSSOP packages, which I could easily get DIP
adapters for. I've since realized that getting a PCB made is definitely worth
it.

> 4. I find it curious that the AVDD to the A/D and D/A is fead through a
> 1ohm resistor that is paralleled by C11 and C12.  Likely you meant to
> tie one side of each of C11 and C12 (the side now connected to C10
> positive) to ground.  That connection would make a filter to reduce the
> noise on AVDD rather than passing the noise along.

Ouch, you are definitely right. Screwed that up.

> 5. Is see on the Maxim site that this series of translators is not
> recommended for new design.  Likely the suggested alternatives have much
> better specifications.

Yep, I went with these because they were available in TSSOP.

All things considering, I think it might be time to start off with a clean
slate. This was an interesting first draft, but I think the constraints it was
designed within are largely inapplicable now.

TI has some very nice converters that will operate directly on 1.8V signals,
which would cut the chip count in half. Unfortunately they are in QFN packages,
which seem difficult at best to solder by hand. On the other hand, there are
also many higher-channel count TSSOP parts that look pretty enticing, although
none of them seem to operate at 1.8V.

I was hoping to finish this design up over the Spring break (now), but I guess
our data-taking will just have to wait. Arg.

Thanks a ton for your help. It's far too easy to overlook your own mistakes.

- Ben