Nishanth Menon <n...@ti.com> writes:

> Kevin Hilman had written, on 03/18/2010 05:49 PM, the following:
>> Nishanth Menon <n...@ti.com> writes:
>>
>>> BUG_ON should not ideally contain a functional code. Remove it out.
>>
>> True.  But this code should not be using BUG_ON() in the first place.
>>
>> We should not crash the whole kernel in this case, just fail
>> with a warning.
>>
>> If you're cleaning this up, can you make it fail more gracefully.
> I agree  if this was a preipheral driver or a non-critical path. but
> in this case:
>
> a) we are speaking of a core description of the h/w - OPPs frequencies
> and voltages which out which the functionality of the system is at
> stake. I am not speaking of just having a basic kernel boot up to
> shell prompt - we need the kernel to do much better than that.

A system can boot fine without OPPs/DVFS.  OPPs will not be
registered with CPUfreq, and no DVFS atempts will be made.

> b) Is there any reason why the registration could fail - if it did
> fail at this point, there is something catastrophic happening - some
> other driver is going beserk OR Opp layer is by itself screwed up -
> why continue if we can warn the system and force a fix of the code?

Using WARN() will produce a nice loud message that alert users, get
reported and get fixed as well.

> c) is there a recovery mechanism to put the system back in a usable
> mode with dvfs etc? I might prefer to get some ideas on it..

What is to recover from?  While not optimal in power/performance, a
kernel can boot and work just fine without OPPs/DVFS.  If this call
fails, no DVFS will be available but the system is still quite usable.

The bigger problem is that everyone things that their
feature/subsystem is so crucial that any problems should hang the
system, when things could actually continue just fine without it in
most cases.

IMO, Using BUG* macros usually indicates improper or incomplete error
handling rather than a real catastrophic system failure.

Kevin