On May 28, 2010, at 8:49 AM, Igor Stoppa wrote:

> ext Theodore Tso wrote:
>
>> I've seen very hard to debug situations  with Maemo where users are
>> essentially asked to uninstall all their applications, and then install them
>> back one at a time, waiting several hours between each install for a
>> charge/discharge cycle, to figure out which application was waking up the
>> system so !...@#@! much while the screen was turned off.   And, when the
>> periodic wakeups are faster than the refresh time of powertop, no, powertop
>> won't help you find the crapplication.   If you think that's acceptable,
>> fine --- we'll see who wins in the marketplace, and who gets blamed for
>> producing a crappy platform --- the incompetent application programmer, or
>> the platform supplier.
>>
> Those apps were from an experimental repository, which is not enabled by
> default in stock SW.

Well, yes, if the company strategy is to have a walled garden ala the Apple
iPhone App store, life is much simpler.   But if the requirements mean that
apps don't need preapproval, the requirements on the platform get harder.   I
think the take-home here is we have a requirement that the platform behave well
even without someone screening the applications for the "default SW repository".

-- Ted