Felipe Balbi wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 04:45:48PM +0200, ext Tony Lindgren wrote:
> >Yeah having the modules do the platform device init and registration will
> >lead into nasty conflicts. The platform device registration really needs
> >to happen in the board-*.c files, not in the drivers.
>
> yeah, unless you had a way to register a particular platform_device
> conditionaly based on the attached daughter card, but then again, if you
> can detect the daughter card, you might as well use that information to
> do the muxing correctly on the board-*.c file.
>
> I have to agree modules are not supposed to change platform stuff. On
> the other hand, that could be used by EHCI/OHCI to implement port
> handoff on runtime:
>
>   mux all usb ports to ehci, if enumeration fails, remux ports to ohci
>   and try again.

FWIW, this specific configuration is not supported on OMAP3s today.
You cannot dynamically hand off from EHCI to OHCI - the issue being that
we don't have a single PHY that can talk both interface languages on the
exact same pads as the OMAP.

One other case I can think of where you might want to change mux modes
dynamically is as a workaround for an errata. For instance, you might
want to mux a particular pad to safe-mode when entering off-mode and
mux it back to a functional mode after exiting off-mode.

- Anand