Not sure if its of any use to you, but we had a similar situation and
we are now looking at UBI
(http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubi.html). We use JFFS2 and we
are considering using it over UBI.

We had problems of data corruption in the flash so we now mount only
partitions with writable data as RW. Rest of them remain RO and gets
remounted as RW only when we want to write to it. Once written, we
mount it RO again.

Suresh