On 07/06/2010 01:22 PM, ext Ohad Ben-Cohen wrote:
Hi Nicolas,

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 4:45 AM, Nicolas Pitre<n...@fluxnic.net>  wrote:
On Tue, 6 Jul 2010, Ohad Ben-Cohen wrote:

From: Ohad Ben-Cohen<oh...@ti.com>

Add support for software emulation of card detect
events.

This is required for specific controllers
that are hard wired with embedded SDIO devices
(such as TI's wl1271 WLAN device).

Why?

Many instances of hardwired SDIO based WLAN devices do exist already,
and they don't need extra card detect events to be generated.  The core
MMC code already triggers a probe for cards whenever a new host
controller is registered.

We prefer not to power up the chip as early as boot time; instead, we
Why? if the card is hard wired with no card detect then it should be powered up. The function driver should power it down later if required. no?

would like to have it powered off until the wlan interface is brought
up, power it on when the interface is brought up,

If it was powered OFF then how did the wlan interface come into picture?

and power it off again as soon as the interface is brought down again
(to minimize power consumption when the wlan is not in use).
I agree, we some how need to power down the card when not in use in the right
way.