On Sun, 3 Oct 2010, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> On Saturday, October 02, 2010, Alan Stern wrote:
> > On Fri, 1 Oct 2010, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > > At the moment it suspends when the network cable is removed from the
> > > device
> > > and the hack I mentioned is used during the resume after the cable has
> > > been
> > > reinserted (it checks if the cable is still there and schedules suspend
> > > if not).
> >
> > That does seem like a strange hack.  Instead of scheduling a suspend,
> > why not simply do a suspend as soon as you learn that the cable has
> > been removed again?  Is there a problem about the connection status
> > bouncing?
>
> I don't remember 100%, but ISTR there was a problem with that.

Regardless, it seems like the sort of thing autosuspend would handle
easily with no need for idle notifications.  Just call
pm_runtime_mark_last_busy when the cable is plugged in, then do the
runtime resume, and then call pm_request_autosuspend.  The check for
the cable being disconnected would have to move from the runtime_idle
callback to the runtime_suspend callback -- but then the runtime_idle
callback wouldn't have to be present at all.

Alan Stern

P.S.: Kevin, it looks like your name somehow got removed from the CC
list on my last message.  This was odd because the message contained a
question directed at you.  In case you didn't receive it, here's a
link:

https://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/linux-pm/2010-October/028908.html