This would require that clk_disable() be called directly by the driver
outside of pm_runtime_putsync().
Isn't this not in line with runtime PM paradigm?

> the
> previously-mentioned improvement to the powerdomain/hwmod code is
> completed and applied, that should result in the powerdomain staying
> powered, but all clocks being disabled.  Otherwise, if the GPIO driver
> wants to use active-mode interrupts (presumably lower wakeup latency,
> but
> higher power consumption), then the driver should just leave its clocks
> enabled and never call pm_runtime_put*().

So, if I understood correctly, it is up to the driver to take the call.
It is perfectly OK if the driver decides to do a pm_runtime_get_sync()
when a GPIO module is requested and not call pm_runtime_put_sync()
until it is released. Now, in OMAP, because of the incidental availability
of AutoIdle feature, this will not prevent the clocks getting auto-gated.

> Both of these latter modes will block some low-power states.  At some
> point, the selection of the interrupt/wakeup mode -- GPIO active, GPIO
> idle, IO ring/chain -- should be made based on the required wakeup
> latency
> of the GPIO user.  Multiple modes may need to used simultaneously,
> since
> individual modes are restricted to certain power states (e.g. IO ring
> is
> only available in CORE off, IO chain is only available in CORE/PER
> retention)
>
> > The initial solution to this was to set the iclk to be the main_clk
> of
> > the hwmod, such that autodeps were managed dynamically as well.  This
> > led to a change in functionality in current code, since the iclk was
> now
> > being manually enabled/disabled at runtime instead of being left for
> HW
> > to manage by module autoidle.  It also led to problems in correctly
> > handling asynchronous GPIO wakeups.
>
> If idle-mode wakeup is used, then the PRCM ISR code that notes the GPIO
> wakeup event either needs to enable the GPIO main clock before calling
> its
> ISR, or the GPIO ISR needs to enable its main clock first thing.  If
> active-mode interrupts are used, then the GPIO ISR doesn't need to
> enable
> its main clock since it is already running at that point.

Enabling main clock via pm_runtime_getsync() in interrupt context will
be a problem. Can we use pm_runtime_get() instead? This will lead to some
delay in the interrupts getting processed.