That is a bit weird.  U-boot doesn't do much of anything but spin waiting for
characters on serial.  The watchdog normally isn't used.

Thinking back I have experienced goofiness along these lines before.  This had
to do with some bad timer initial state assumptions.  The timer's count values
and states entering the kernel have caused a trip up.  I had fixed some of
these years back.  Its possible some could have snuck back with all the
recoding.  Many times the simple have some unanticipated twist.

The watchdog is something which the old kernel used to fall on also.  There
were a couple simple trip ups:
        -1- people forgot to turn clock on all together
        -2- next, it was touched before clock frame work was initialized
        -1+2- some code only 'wrote' to watchdog registers.  When memory
attribute is device, generally the imprecise abort is ignored by the arm.  But
some times weirdness slipped in around memory weak memory attribute mishandling.

Sounds like a fun bug/puzzle which good ole Lauterbach would help in.

Regards,
Richard W.