On Friday 15 February 2013 10:12 PM, Felipe Balbi wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 08:30:32AM -0800, Tony Lindgren wrote:
* Santosh Shilimkar <santosh.shilim...@ti.com> [130215 05:34]:
On Friday 15 February 2013 06:57 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 06:56:47PM +0530, Santosh Shilimkar wrote:
Whats your view on use of arch_ioremap_caller() hook ? This can allow
us to avoid the dual ioremap() issue discussed here if the hook
maintains the list of mapped ios.

I was even thinking of having such intelligence within the core
ioremap code but thought that might be too invasive.

Why do you even need it?  There's no problem with ioremapping the same
space multiple times (you end up with multiple mappings but that
shouldn't be a problem, except for the additional space used.)

It just waste of iospace and Tony insisted to have just single ioremap()
hence all this discussion

The main goal is to avoid duplicating data both in hwmod and DT.
That's pretty much solved as we can have the driver probe populate
the common data for hwmod from DT as Santosh has already demonstrated.

Then we also want the driver specific idle and reset code to be done
in the drivers rather than in hwmod and glue it together with hwmod
using runtime PM. The biggest issue there is how do we reset and idle
some piece of hardware for PM purposes when there's no driver loaded.

right, this will be a tough nut to crack.

I guess the only way would be reset all IPs early in the boot process,
before even creating the platform-devices. Can we do that ? I mean, from
omap_device_build_from_dt() we have access to address space of all
devices, through ti,hwmods we can figure out which hwmods are linked to
that particular device, so whenever you build a device, you could just
call _reset().

Thats what we do today and it works perfectly. As per Tony's suggestion,
we need to move the non-probed devices reset and idle setup to late_init
which is also doable.

In that case when probed driver calls runtime_get(), we reset that
device and setup the idle settings. And remainder of the devices
are managed in late_init().

The only problem is that now omap_device_build_from_dt() is called after
we notify that a new device/driver pair has been registered with the
platform_bus, right ? So we would still need a way to call _reset() for
those which are on DTS but don't have a driver bound to them...

The only special requirement for reset remains(which today handled by
hwmod function calls) is for devices which needs specific reset
sequence. And this one can be handled through a runtime_reset()
kind of hook.

Does that sound reasonable ?

Regards,
Santosh