On Thursday 14 February 2013 12:28 PM, Tomi Valkeinen wrote:
On 2013-02-14 08:51, Archit Taneja wrote:
On Wednesday 13 February 2013 10:59 PM, Aaro Koskinen wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 07:52:08PM +0530, Archit Taneja wrote:
+static struct panel_acx565akm_data *get_panel_data(struct
omap_dss_device *dssdev)
+{
+    return (struct panel_acx565akm_data *) dssdev->data;
+}
+
   static int acx_panel_probe(struct omap_dss_device *dssdev)
   {
       int r;
       struct acx565akm_device *md = &acx_dev;
+    struct panel_acx565akm_data *panel_data = get_panel_data(dssdev);

Why the get_panel_data function is needed, isn't the cast unnecessary?

the 'data' member of omap_dss_device has the type 'void *', we need to
cast it to access the panel_acx565akm_data struct pointer.

You don't need an explicit cast to assign a void pointer to a pointer to
something else (or vice versa, I think).

I remember us having similar constructs in some other panel drivers
also. I think they are unnecessary also.

I was considering keeping the get_panel_data() funcs in the panel drivers though. This way, whenever the way of retrieving platform data changes because of DT or CDF or something else, we would just need to modify the get_panel_data func.

Archit