On 12/12/2013 09:35 AM, Archit Taneja wrote:
> The VPE and VIP IPs in DRA7x contain common scaler and color conversion
> hardware
> blocks. We create libraries for these components such that the vpe driver and
> the vip driver(in future) can use these library funcs to configure the blocks.
>
> There are some points for which I would like comments:
>
> - For VPE, setting the format and colorspace for the source and destination
>   queues is enough to determine how these blocks need to be configured and
>   whether they need to be bypassed or not. So it didn't make sense to
> represent
>   them as media controller entities. For VIP(driver not upstream yet), it's
>   possible that there are multiple data paths which may or may not include
> these
>   blocks. However, the current use cases don't require such flexibility. There
>   may be a need to re-consider a media controller like setup once we work on
> the
>   VIP driver. Is it a good idea in terms of user-space compatibilty if we use
>   media controller framework in the future.

As long as you don't need the mc, then there is no need to implement it.

> - These blocks will also require some custom control commands later on. For
>   example, we may want to tell the scaler later on to perform bi-linear
>   scaling, or perform peaking at a particular frequency.
>
> - The current series keeps the default scaler coefficients in a header file.
>   These coefficients add a lot of lines of code in the kernel. Does it make
> more
>   sense for the user application to pass the co-efficients to the kernel using
>   an ioctl? Is there any driver which currenlty does this?

I think it is good to keep it in the driver. Otherwise apps would be forced to
set up the table. It's about 11 kilobyte in memory, which isn't that bad.

> The series is based on the branch:
>
> git://linuxtv.org/media_tree.git master
>
> Archit Taneja (8):
>   v4l: ti-vpe: create a scaler block library
>   v4l: ti-vpe: support loading of scaler coefficients
>   v4l: ti-vpe: make vpe driver load scaler coefficients
>   v4l: ti-vpe: enable basic scaler support
>   v4l: ti-vpe: create a color space converter block library
>   v4l: ti-vpe: Add helper to perform color conversion
>   v4l: ti-vpe: enable CSC support for VPE
>   v4l: ti-vpe: Add a type specifier to describe vpdma data format type
>
>  drivers/media/platform/ti-vpe/Makefile   |    2 +-
>  drivers/media/platform/ti-vpe/csc.c      |  196 +++++
>  drivers/media/platform/ti-vpe/csc.h      |   68 ++
>  drivers/media/platform/ti-vpe/sc.c       |  311 +++++++
>  drivers/media/platform/ti-vpe/sc.h       |  208 +++++
>  drivers/media/platform/ti-vpe/sc_coeff.h | 1342
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>  drivers/media/platform/ti-vpe/vpdma.c    |   36 +-
>  drivers/media/platform/ti-vpe/vpdma.h    |    7 +
>  drivers/media/platform/ti-vpe/vpe.c      |  251 ++++--
>  drivers/media/platform/ti-vpe/vpe_regs.h |  187 -----
>  create mode 100644 drivers/media/platform/ti-vpe/csc.c
>  create mode 100644 drivers/media/platform/ti-vpe/csc.h
>  create mode 100644 drivers/media/platform/ti-vpe/sc.c
>  create mode 100644 drivers/media/platform/ti-vpe/sc.h
>  create mode 100644 drivers/media/platform/ti-vpe/sc_coeff.h

For this patch series:

Acked-by: Hans Verkuil <hans.verk...@cisco.com>

Regards,

        Hans