Jason Edgecombe asked:

> Silly question, but I'm assuming that the idrac express can remotely
> powerup the host. Is that correct?  Can the host powercycle the idrac
> express without needing to reboot the host?

Yes, the iDRAC6 Express can remotely power-up as well as down (assuming
that AC power is connected :-) -- there was a post on this list a while
back where somebody had a BMC connected to a switch that would not
auto-negotiate (it was set at 1Gbps) and the BMC would only do 100Mbps
once the host was powered off (not enough juice in standby mode to run
Gigabit Ethernet) and as a result, the BMC was unreachable when the host
was powered off - I don't know if this applies to iDRAC6 as well.

To power cycle the iDRAC6 from the host, ipmitool mc reset warm should
work (reset cold gets an error for me) - racadm racreset should work too
(neither of these are true power-cycle, just reset, but that should be
good enough for most purposes).

Shannon Gray wrote:

> I'm looking at the dell pdf "Integrated Dell(tm) Remote Access Controller 6
> (iDRAC6) Version 1.2 User Guide" and on page 30 in the feature list table
> "Last Crash Screen Capture" is listed for iDRAC express...?

I didn't know about that.  On my iDRAC6 Express, racadm gettracelog
shows a bunch of entries like the following:

Record:      2
Date/Time:   Nov 20 15:22:18
Source:      pm[20753]
captured
Record:      3
Date/Time:   Nov 20 15:22:18
Source:      pm[20759]
BSODCaptureFilePath, not doing BSOD capture

indicating that it isn't able to capture crash screens.  But on the Web
management GUI, there is an entry seeing the last crash (although it
just shows a black screen) - and the boot playback capture seems to work
(although it cuts out when BIOS console redirection stops - I have it
set to do that after boot since I have GRUB and Linux set up to talk to
the serial port directly).  There is something about having Auto
Recovery enabled (and timer set appropriately), which seems to require
OMSA, which I am not using, but I have to say it does seem the the iDRAC
Express would support this feature if you were using that.
> We just bought some PE R610's with iDRAC6 express and it looks like racadm
> does not work, although I could be missing something...
>
> [r...@xxxxxxxxxxx ~]# racadm getsysinfo
>
> NOTE:
> This Integrated Dell Remote Access Controller does not support RACADM
> commands.
> Please contact Dell Customer Service to upgrade your version of iDRAC.
>
> [r...@xxxxxxxxxxx ~]# rpm -q --whatprovides
> /opt/dell/srvadmin/idrac/bin/racadm
> srvadmin-idracadm-6.1.0-648
> [r...@xxxxxxxxxxx ~]#

That's interesting...I am using the racadm from the Dell DTK 3.1.1-165:
# racadm version
RACADM version 6.1.0 (CSE Build 1.0)
Copyright (c) 2003-2009 Dell, Inc.
All Rights Reserved

However I suspect the more salient difference, and the one which allows
it to work for me (but not for you) is that I have the updated 1.20
release of the iDRAC6 firmware installed:
# ipmitool mc info | grep :
Device ID                 : 32
Device Revision           : 0
Firmware Revision         : 1.20
IPMI Version              : 2.0
Manufacturer ID           : 674
Manufacturer Name         : DELL Inc
Product ID                : 256 (0x0100)
Product Name              : Unknown (0x100)
Device Available          : yes
Provides Device SDRs      : yes
Additional Device Support :
Aux Firmware Rev Info     :

Perhaps this is what is meant by "contact Dell Customer Service to
upgrade" - software, not hardware?

@alex

--
mailto:alex.du...@mac.com