I like to use the 'lshw' program. not sure why rhel doesn't carry it but you
can get it in rpmforge.

it's got an impressive database of hardware. It should detect the product
and vendor of most all components like chassis, cpu, usb connected stuff,
add on cards.. Even tells you serial numbers of your ram sticks and firmware
versions of your disks.

for scripting use XML output

<snip>

    product: PowerEdge 1950
    vendor: Dell Inc.
    serial: DELL
    width: 64 bits
    capabilities: smbios-2.5 dmi-2.5 vsyscall64 vsyscall32
    configuration: boot=normal chassis=rackmount
uuid=44454C4C-0000-1044-8045-80C04F4C4C20

     *-firmware
          vendor: Dell Inc.
          physical id: 0
          version: 2.6.1 (04/20/2009)

           *-storage
                product: MegaRAID SAS 1078
                vendor: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic
                physical id: 0
                bus info: p...@0000:01:00.0
                logical name: scsi0
                version: 04
                width: 64 bits

              *-disk
                   product: PERC 6/i
                   vendor: DELL
                   physical id: 2.0.0
                   bus info: s...@0:2.0.0
                   logical name: /dev/sda
                   version: 1.22
                   serial:
                   size: 278GiB (299GB)
                   capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
                   configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=00063af8

* a lot more stuff etc..etc..

</snip>