Ian Forde wrote:
> Heck - even at 10 servers, PXE installations should be the
> norm.  So to be told that one has to use a DOS floppy is a little...
> well... grating...

I've had good luck in the past using memdisk from syslinux to load a
floppy,CD,or "USB stick" image into RAM as part of a PXE boot - and then
using IPMI serial redirection to carry out the update (except you can't
see *graphical* DOS firmware updaters (WFT?!!!) but even those seem to
have unattended operation options).

Qemu v11 + etherboot (I use the "pcnet" PXE rom image that ships with
recent Debian) is a very good tool for prototyping / checking images....

Still a crappy bodge, but a bit less so...  To give Dell their due, a
lot of their problems are with their suppliers, and at least this:

http://www.ducea.com/2007/08/27/dell-bios-firmware-updates-on-debian/

... is a lot easier on Dell systems than most others (yeah there is
http://packages.debian.org/sid/flashrom for other systems which I've had
100% success with, but if it breaks you're going to need to start
pulling chips).

Tim.

--
South East Open Source Solutions Limited
Registered in England and Wales with company number 06134732.