On 10 Mar 2010, at 14:56, Sabuj Pattanayek wrote:
> On the configuration page for the md1000, do the "Single Blank Hard
> Drive Filler"s allow you to put HDDs in them or do you actually have
> to purchase the lowest end HDD they'll sell in order to get a caddy?

I'm sure you're already aware of this, but just in case you're not:
typically these are just covers for the drive bay, and don't allow you
to actually fit a drive with them.

I.E., they're this:
   http://snpi.dell.com/sna/images/products/mlrg/340-7475.jpg
not this:
   http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/9/5/0/2/7/9/webimg/330646427_tp.jpg

I believe the official answer is indeed that you need to buy a drive
from Dell to get the actual caddy, however 3rd party caddies or Dell
spares may be available at a fair & reasonable price. Links have been
posted in the past.

> The cheapest option I'm seeing is a 500GB 7.2K RPM Universal SATA
> 3Gbps 3.5-in HotPlug HDD for $195.30 (obscene).

If you think that's obscene, you should check out pricing on 1TB
drives on Dell's UK site. Buying with a T410 you will pay £700 per
drive - over $1000.

Stroller.